Lufthansa Flight 181 Landshut hijacking
|Lufthansa Flight 181 Landshut hijacking|
| Return of the GSG-9 commando from Somalia|
to Germany after the rescue operation in Mogadishu
18 October 1977
|Official name||Lufthansa Flight 181 Landshut hijacking|
Lufthansa Flight 181 was a Boeing 737–230 Adv aircraft named Landshut that was hijacked on October 13, 1977 by four members of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine, who called themselves Commando Martyr Halima. The objective of the hijacking was to secure the release of imprisoned Red Army Faction leaders. On 18 October the aircraft was stormed by the West German counter-terrorism group GSG 9 in Mogadishu, Somalia, and all 90 passengers rescued. The rescue operation was codenamed Feuerzauber (German term for "Fire Magic"). The hijacking is considered to be part of the German Autumn.
In 2017 the German government purchased the aircraft involved (D-ABCE), and a complex logistic operation was set in motion to transport it back to Germany. Lufthansa Technik specialists flew to Brazil to disassemble the aircraft and fit the different parts in a giant Antonov cargo airplane and an accompanying Ilyushin Il-76. Once back home, it will be reassembled at the Dornier museum in Friedrichshafen, where it is going to be fully restored (cleaned, refurbished, repainted) and displayed in its original 1977 Lufthansa retro livery. The project is expected to be completed in October 2019.
- BBC: The hunt for Black September [MSM 1]
- Wikipedia: Events attributed to the RAF [MSM 2]
injuries = 5 (1 flight attendant, 3 passengers, 1 hijacker)
fatalities = 4 (1 crew, 3 hijackers)
survivors = 91 (All passengers, 4 crew, 1 hijacker)
Movies and other productions
- Mogadischu] (2008)
- The song "122 Hours of Fear" by The Screamers, recorded in 1978, was inspired by the hijacking.
- The song "RAF" by Brian Eno and Snatch (Judy Nylon/Patti Palladin) was created using sound elements from a Baader Meinhof ransom message available by public telephone at the time of the hijacking.
- The hijacking and the hostage rescue operation were portrayed in two German television films: Todesspiel (The Death Game) in 1997 and Mogadischu, directed by Roland Suso Richter, in 2008.
- The hijacking and rescue was also portrayed in the Black Ops television series, season 2 episode 76, titled "Operation Fire Magic".
- Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege, a 2015 counter-terrorism video game, used Lufthansa Flight 181, along with other historical hostage extraction operations, as inspiration for the game and as research for making the game more accurate.
- Main List of psyOps
- Death of Celebrity Person
- Space fakery
- Nuke Hoax
- Plane crashes
- Various events