A General Movie Thread

Fakeologist.com Forums This and That A General Movie Thread

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’ve recently had a change of circumstance where by my daughter and I have been going to the cinema together regularly and watching all the new, child friendly movies.

Agenda-driven as we know Big movies are, I thought I’d make a record here of anything interesting I come across on my cherished dates. If a popular new child-friendly movie comes out, I will probably be watching it.

Today it was : MINIONS
    DS

I haven’t seen the other two movies, but this is a prequel to the Despicable Me movies.

The minions are the main characters, in this film. The sympathetic characters.
    Minions aren’t normally sympathetic characters.

Minion : a follower or underling of a powerful person, especially a servile or unimportant one.
    with synonyms like: henchman, flunkey, lackey, hanger-on, follower, camp follower, servant, hireling, vassal, stooge, creature, toady, sycophant, flatterer, fawner, lickspittle, myrmidon;

( Note: Galloway’s lickspittle )

Further, the minions don’t look much. They look like the inside of a Kinder Egg in a pair of overalls. Is this really as simple as giving our kids a familiar positive image? The inside of a kinder egg? I laugh at myself, but I did buy a lot of kinder eggs for my children. They were certainly very fashionable with my dependents. A minion can’t help but look like a kinder egg to my daughter and I.
    ds

fd

The overalls align the Minions with the blue collar worker.
    It’s all a bit weird. Kinder eggs in overalls…

The plot of this Minions movie is quite interesting.

”Minions are small, yellow creatures who have existed since the beginning of time, evolving from single-celled organisms into beings who have only one purpose: to serve history’s most despicable masters. But after accidentally destroying all their masters, including a T. Rex, a caveman, an Egyptian pharaoh, a medieval king, a pirate captain, Genghis Khan, Napoleon and Dracula, they decide to isolate themselves from the world and start a new life in Antarctica.”

Well, what do you get from that ? ”Evolving from single-celled organisms into beings who only have one purpose: to serve history’s most despicable masters.”? Just like Us then!

Now, the word ‘depicable’ – deserving hatred and contempt.
    With synonyms like: contemptible, loathsome, hateful, detestable, reprehensible, abhorrent, abominable, awful, heinous, beyond the pale;

So to be clear. There is nothing good about being despicable, by definition.

The Minions are sympathetic characters. Is it appropriate that my daughter sees these characters as sympathetic, considering they’re servile to the abominable?

Yeh, it figures, doesn’t it?

kinder eggs…

DalTampra

Participant

Just wanted to make a note of this.
    The Villain – Con symbol. ( villain conference the Minions go to- underground ).
    fd

Set in 1968, for some reason, probably…

Trailer…

Remember, the Minions have gone off to Antarctica but they come back in this film ( in 1968 ) to assist histories most despicable criminals.

DalTampra

Participant

I’d noticed the ‘ball’ symbol of Villain Con but I’d not noticed the other side of that sign until I went back to look.
    Is that the World Trade Centre alluded to there on the left under the word ‘Welcome’? Specifically the North Tower with it’s mast.
    There’s two figures on top of this tower and another looks to be jumping or throwing some kind of line off the roof, as suggested by a spiraling line.

Construction of the North Tower began in Ausust 1968.
    Interesting Welcome sign.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Construction_of_the_World_Trade_Center

ds

DalTampra

Participant

9/11 A 30-year old conspiracy? Make that 70.

Participant

A 30-year old conspiracy? Make that 70.

Make that 60. Says Betsy.

Carys
    Participant

Says Betsy McSim.

Looks like we have the old fake moon landing gag in that Minions movie too, Tom.

Carys
    Participant

One for the general movie thread. The final scene in the movie Fifth Estate stands out, where the fictional Julian Assange (played by Benedict Cumberbatch) breaks the dramatic fourth wall, turns to the camera/us and says:

“You want to know the truth? No one is going to tell you the whole truth. They’ll only tell you their version.

You want the truth, you have to seek it for yourself.” (shades of Morpheus in The Matrix “You have to see it for yourself.”)

“That’s where the real power lies, your willingness to look past this story, any story.”

And then a little mockery:

“As long as you keep searching, you are dangerous to them. That’s what they are afraid of. You.

It is all about You.”

https://wikileaks.org/IMG/html/wikileaks-dreamworks-memo.html#7557

Participant

Fake Moon Landing reference -check.
    What is it with these movies? They’re full of it!

——————————
    Winning formulas are winning formulas, I suppose, but, I just fancied looking at these characters next to each other. Excuse me.
    HEROES ( Blue and Yellow Heroes )

ds

fd

fd

What is it with these yellow and blue characters ?

DalTampra

Participant

Bit grubby, but here’s a dutiful minion, post-Nice, doing his thing.

fd

DalTampra

Vespadouglas
    Participant

Spongebob certainly fits the model

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

VD XXXIII

Vespadouglas
    Participant

And not forgetting one of the funniest cartoon characters ever.
    Mr Johnny Bravo himself.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

VD XXXIII

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.