Verbena, Scott Bondy, AA Bondy, and Dave Grohl....a deal with the Chief Commander turned down?

General chatter that doesn't fit any forums below.
dirtybenny

Verbena, Scott Bondy, AA Bondy, and Dave Grohl....a deal with the Chief Commander turned down?

Unread post by dirtybenny »

When I still listened to rock, Verbena was my favorite band. I saw them live multiple times and personally spoke with the band.They were on fire, slugging whiskey out of the bottle on stage, getting popular, even on national television. Shortly thereafter, the band changed their name to the Alabama's Boy Choir, disbanded, and Scott Bondy changed his name to AA Bondy.

So Verbena was doing heavy grunge rock, met up with Grohl, shortly thereafter, the band disbanded, Bondy changes his name, and only plays acoustic music. It seems to me that they turned down the deal with the chief commander.

in the US, the band attracted attention from Dave Grohl, who agreed to produce its major-label debut, Into The Pink (1999), for Capitol Records. Before recording, Johnston left the band and Griffin took over bass duties after a short live stint with Grohl playing bass.[1] The album's single, "Baby Got Shot," received moderate modern rock radio airplay, and its music video landed in rotation on MTV2 mid-year. While touring in support of Into The Pink, former Weezer bassist Mikey Welsh was recruited to provide bass duties with Griffin back on rhythm guitar. Shortly afterwards, Griffin left the band and was replaced with bassist Nick Daviston. Verbena continued as a trio and released La Musica Negra (2003), produced by Rob Schnapf, and again garnered airplay for the single "Way Out West" with a music video that featured Kiefer Sutherland and Natasha Lyonne. They toured in support of La Musica Negra, sometimes under the name The Alabama Boys Choir. Verbena disbanded in 2003.

Verbena’s lyrics trample within topics of Jesus, devils, sex, saints and sinners, with no underlying meaning behind the black lyrics that ruminate with: ” Killing Floor (Get Down On It),” “Pistol,” ” Me and Yr Sister,” and the “Devil in Miss Jones.”

We know the demonic influence of Grohl.

Auguste Arthur Bondy, also known as Scott Bondy and A. A. Bondy, is an American alternative folk artist from Birmingham, Alabama.

Early life

Bondy was born and raised in Mountain Brook, Alabama, where he attended Mountain Brook High School.[1]

Career

Bondy is the former lead singer and guitarist in the rock band Verbena, which he founded in the early-1990s. After the band broke up in 2003, he recorded his debut solo album, American Hearts, in a barn near his home Palenville, New York.[2] The album, released in 2007, marked a shift in musical direction towards a more traditional and minimalist folk sound,[3][4] with Bondy playing mostly acoustic guitar and harmonica.

His second album, When the Devil's Loose, was recorded in Mississippi and released in September 2009.

Bondy released his third album, Believers, on September 13, 2011.

Bondy released his fourth album, Enderness, on May 10, 2019.

Verbena was an American rock band from Birmingham, Alabama, founded in the early 1990s by Scott Bondy, Anne Marie Griffin, Les Nuby, and Daniel Johnston. They released three albums, two of which were issued on Capitol Records.

"I had known for a while that I wanted to do something else," Bondy explains as he illuminates his thought process leading up to his first band's dissolution. "I just wasn't happy doing what I was doing. I was like anyone else with a choice. Work is work, but you should feel like you're getting something from it, whether you're learning, gaining some ground or even enjoying yourself. It was a job that I just needed to quit."

"We wanted to be like Led Zeppelin or something," says Bondy. "[We were] fooled by some shiny things left out in the dust and thought that we could just go out and collect them and we'd have our own plane," says Bondy. "It just went epically wrong."

After Verbena split up, Bondy quit music and fled to the Catskill Mountains in New York. He fixed well pumps, dog sat and read a lot — dark books by Cormac McCarthy, and classics like Moby Dick. And he continued to play music for himself.

"And that was also really good, because it was meditative just sitting there playing guitar for hours again," Bondy says.

With Dave Grohl at CBGB in NYC

It’s Alright, It’s Okay (Jesus Told Me So) Lyrics

Oh, put your blues in your pistol
You can take 'em wherever you please
And give your tongue to the devil

Give your tongue to whoever you please
Ain't it a shame, ain't it a shame, honey
It's alright, it's okay
Take off your skin so you can do it again
While we fly, I'll scratch your itch
So you can do it again
Well, you can do the confusion
Well, you can do the whatever you please
Goddamn it, I'm lucky
Am I lucky to have no memory

It's alright, it's okay
It's alright, it's okay
Do it again and over I'm in
I'm doin' it again, I'll do it again

So we go from a song about giving your tongue to the devil and do what thou will to this..
from the first recording that AA Bondy releases after disbanding Verbena, we get this song....

Killed Myself When I Was Young

Song by A. A. Bondy

Killed myself when I was young
With my fingers on a poison gun
'Cause I had to come back new
Wanna walk on the ocean blue
And I'm gonna leave this town
With the people all tumbling down
And my boots on the diamond road
Behind such a heavy load
And I will come back someday
If I do not lose my way
Don't weep, my girl so true
Let the train whistle cry for you

My theory is that Verbena turned down the deal with the chief commander for fame and riches.