Getting off the plantations (Alternatives to the big tech anti-services)

What do you want to see on fakeologist.com? What's wrong with the site? What's right?
heretical1

Getting off the plantations (Alternatives to the big tech anti-services)

Unread post by heretical1 »

Ab is abundantly aware that it is futile to fight corporations that owe you nothing. (Literally, there may well be no contract; they owe you nothing, and they sure act like it.)

Shouldn't we migrate from Telegram (centralized, and connected to a dubious character) towards something like Matrix/Element (decentralized, open-source)?

Renting your own Matrix server seems like a lot of overhead, but if the Fakeologist community already bears hosting costs, it might be something to consider, as it would stall the service hopping. For one thing, it also supports voice chats. (If I had to choose a dedicated vc platform, however, I'd choose the open-source Mumble, over Teamspeak. You can rent Murmur servers, or even run one on a Raspberry Pi.)

Yes, talk is cheap (although the citations here did take a while), but I'm advocating these options because we should have the foresight to manage at least some of our vulnerabilities. I haven't much yet had to consider the whole DNS alternatives topic, but since we can conceivably be wiped from the registries, that may be a future discussion.
heretical1

Re: Getting off the plantations (Alternatives to the big tech anti-services)

Unread post by heretical1 »

https://www.privacytools.io/ has a great list of software and services, for those interested.