How intelligence can be twisted into delusion

SaiGirl

How intelligence can be twisted into delusion

Unread post by SaiGirl »

Cognitive bias actually increases with intelligence.
Because of emotion, ideology, rationalization and identity "politics".

napoleon

Re: How intelligence can be twisted into delusion

Unread post by napoleon »

In 1851, Dr. Samuel Adolphus Cartwright invented “Drapetomania” to describe the "psychological disorder" that caused a phenomenon of enslaved Blacks to run away from bondage before the Civil War.

What does Drapetomania mean in Greek?
Drapetomania: A “disease” that never was - Hektoen International
“Drapetomania” was a term coined by Samuel Cartwright, MD (1793–1863), from the Greek drapetes, a runaway, and mania, madness. He defined it as a “mental illness” that caused African slaves in the US to flee their captivity.

What is the cure for Drapetomania?
In a state of freedom, they were miserable; hence any tendency to seek this state was unnatural, the result of mental instability, and not in their own best interests. The “cure” for drapetomania was a firm, kindly master, who provided decent necessities and a structured work environment.

one of the fellas that inspired me,was one of the most intelligent men i have ever heard or read ,as soon as he dismissed the i.q. test i was inspired

big shout to smj napoleon wilsons main catalyst
rachel

Re: How intelligence can be twisted into delusion

Unread post by rachel »

The guy in the video, of course, misses out the main director in all of this.

Funding.

University Departments only complete research on topics they can get funding for. And they only look for outcomes within the scope of the brief they've been set.

One of the more revealing Michael Mann Climategate emails was him having a panic because he couldn't find warming. The logic...if there is no warming, there is no reason for his department to exist, and he has a mortgage to pay.