On the past and future of cults in America

SaiGirl

Re: Did Jesus Fake His Own Death? The movie.

Unread post by SaiGirl »

Here’s another movie you never heard of:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Passover_Plot_(film)

Maybe it failed at the box office or got lousy reviews.
I haven’t watched it yet.
Some major dramatic players in this version.

You can watch it here for free:

https://ok.ru/video/2610296064678

Our thanks to "ok.ru" for that indulgence.
I wonder if the Vatican put this one on their (forbidden) "Index"?
SaiGirl

Recalling Emperor Claudius and the "J" Issue

Unread post by SaiGirl »

Claudius had a close familial relationship with the Herodian family.
But they were never really accepted as "Jews", since their people had been converted "Edomites" (Idumaeans) during the late Hasmonean (Maccabee) reign in Iudaea.
By command of the Maccabean kings, the children of Edom were forcibly circumcised and they were declared "Jews".
Herod the Great then married a Maccabean princess, and so legitimized his heirs.
But the Herodians were never of the line of David (nor were the Maccabees), so they had no Biblical claim to rule over the Kingdom.
The Herodians were recognized by Mark Anthony and his successors as the legal royalty of Iudaea.
And so they married into the Imperial family.

However, none of this was ever recognized as legitimate by the rabbis.
Only by the priesthood and its bureaucracy in Jerusalem; collecting the taxes and tithes.

Consider that Jews formed the wealthiest and occasionally largest single "minority" group in the great cities of the empire; Alexandria, Antioch, Thessalonica, Marseilles, Rome.

They seemed to be in constant contention with the "Greek" (pagan) neighbors of Alexandria.

Here Claudius addresses recent ethnic / confessional "riots" in the city:

=========
As for the question , which party was responsible for the riots and feud (or rather, if the truth be told, the war) with the Jews, although in confrontation with their opponents your ambassadors, and particularly Dionysios the son of Theon, contended with great zeal, nevertheless I was unwilling to make a strict inquiry, though guarding within me a store of immutable indignation against whichever party renews the conflict. And I tell you once and for all that unless you put a stop to this ruinous and obstinate enmity against each other, I shall be driven to show what a benevolent Prince can be when turned to righteous indignation. Wherefore, once again I conjure you that, on the one hand, the Alexandrians show themselves forebearing and kindly towards the Jews who for many years have dwelt in the same city, and dishonor none of the rites observed by them in the worship of their god, but allow them to observe their customs as in the time of the Deified Augustus, which customs I also, after hearing both sides, have sanctioned; and on the other hand, I explicitly order the Jews not to agitate for more privileges than they formerly possessed, and not in the future to send out a separate embassy as though they lived in a separate city (a thing unprecedented), and not to force their way into gymnasiarchic or cosmetic games, while enjoying their own privileges and sharing a great abundance of advantages in a city not their own, and not to bring in or admit Jews who come down the river from Egypt or from Syria, a proceeding which will compel me to conceive serious suspicions. Otherwise I will by all means take vengeance on them as fomenters of which is a general plague infecting the whole world. If, desisting from these courses, you consent to live with mutual forebearance and kindliness, I on my side will exercise a solicitude of very long standing for the city, as one which is bound to us by traditional friendship. I bear witness to my friend Barbillus of the solicitude which he has always shown for you in my presence and of the extreme zeal with which he has now advocated your cause; and likewise to my friend Tiberius Claudius Archibius.
===============
UNQUOTE

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claudius% ... _from_Rome
SaiGirl

Men in useless hats that represent cults.

Unread post by SaiGirl »

https://www.britannica.com/place/Pakist ... -new-state

This is a photo of a famous “founding father” of Pakistan.
He’s long dead, and doesn’t matter much now.

I’m posting this to make a completely unrelated point about the symbolism and semiotics of hats, as expressions of ideological or religious group affiliation.
And especially hats without BRIMS.
Which serve zero purpose as far as shielding the eyes and face from the sun.
At least a beret can be pulled down around the ears in the cold or rain.

But the fez, popular for millennia in Turkey, Egypt, the Levant, on the Indian subcontinent and elsewhere in some old Soviet republics, is a symbol of Islamic piety.
An otherwise pointless hat with no practical purpose.
One could say the same about the yarmulke that the Pope and cardinals wear in imitation of the Orthodox Jews.
The yarmulke can be worn without any "weight" or distraction. It's tiny.
Once pinned to the hair, it can be forgotten

But the fez, designed to make the wearer look taller and more imposing, has no practical purpose at all; and would constantly be knocked off by activity, violent motion (especially on horseback) or from slight winds.
A chin strap would be required to retain the fez in place, making it even more ridiculously useless, cumbersome and impractical.
In the Islamic world, only men wear it. Never women.

The fez was fashionable and popular among certain military units during the US "civil war".

And has survived in the west among freemasons, "shriners", the "Nation of Islam" and "Moorish Science Temple".
If you see caucasians in the USA wearing it, they are probably "shriners".
Muhammad-Zafrulla-Khan-1948.jpg
Muhammad-Zafrulla-Khan-1948.jpg (15.93 KiB) Viewed 441 times
JH241-288283461.jpg
SaiGirl

Artifacts ("residue") constitute physical evidence.

Unread post by SaiGirl »

PotatoFieldsForever wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 5:09 am Disclaimer, I'm not a Christian.

What makes history different from religion ? we just believe that something happened because it's written somewhere in a book, minus the spiritual component. If we believe what we are told, they had 2000 years to craft their story and we have now the technology to write a book in a few seconds, if something exists today we cannot exclude that it could have existed in the past.
============================================

Artifacts such as archaeological ruins and coinage can tell us a lot.
Unfortunately, like ancient scrolls or documents, they can also be forged.

We should observe the implications of imagery and symbols deployed in architecture, art and coinage.

=======
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arch_of_Titus

"Iudaea Capta" (Judaea conquered) was considered a major achievement by the Roman state. Immortalized in architecture and also coinage.

========================
https://rg.ancients.info/constantine/Sol_other.html

Constantine minted coins that feature the "Chi Rho" (acronym for Christ) on one side, and "Sol Invictus" (the "unconquerable sun of Mithras") on the other.

This combination of symbols and concepts from completely different cults
is called SYNCRETISM.
And is considered a major capital heresy in both Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox denominations.

===================================
PotatoFieldsForever

Re: On the past and future of cults in America

Unread post by PotatoFieldsForever »

Honestly, it looks like others monuments built in the 19th century when it was apparently "renovated".

At the core, people defend their religion because at a conscious or unconscious level, they want it to be true. I'm suspecting that the same thing is happening with history, each sign is taken as a confirmation that their worldview is correct.

The amount of lies in this world is way too high for me to not distrust these narratives about what happened in the past. Personally, I don't believe that the gospels relate historical events but I found curious the idea of trying to prove that Jesus was real but a fraud. It made me think of these people desecrating churches.
DonPowell

Re: On the past and future of cults in America

Unread post by DonPowell »

https://www.verywellmind.com/what-is-a-cult-5078234

According to the Cult Education Institute, there are specific warning signs to look out for when considering whether a group might be a cult. Cults are characterized by:

-Absolute authoritarianism without accountability
-Zero tolerance for criticism or questions
- Lack of meaningful financial disclosure regarding budget
- Unreasonable fears about the outside world that often involve evil conspiracies and persecutions
-A belief that former followers are always wrong for leaving and there is never a legitimate reason for anyone else to leave
-Abuse of members
- Records, books, articles, or programs documenting the abuses of the leader or group
-Followers feeling they are never able to be “good enough”
-A belief that the leader is right at all times
-A belief that the leader is the exclusive means of knowing “truth” or giving validation

Cults are dangerous because they typically rely on deceptive and authoritarian practices to make members dependent on and obedient to the group. Cults often cut members off from other forms of social and financial support and pose both physical and psychological risks to members of the group.