Demeaning our Lives: Our Lives Matter

General chatter that doesn't fit any forums below.
nickw

Demeaning our Lives: Our Lives Matter

Unread post by nickw »

Two connected thoughts for me were developing... my dog passed away this new year after a period of illness. It raised Q's regarding certain things: The food, the medication, available to modern city pets but bcos they live less time, the speed of processes can be seen more clearly (possibly, if one's not blinded to the obvious) (our recent worldwide situation I'm referring to)
That's a possible forum thread, modern system of pet control and links with human control. As I said things happen quicker, so maybe trends can be observed more clearly ... those of us who have/have had pets?

Linked with it, trends in words/language esp in UK English.

An example: The phrase 'bog standard' as something less than good, way below the acceptable usually: 'Bog standard comprehensive'... Alister Campbell used to hammer away with it 20 yrs ago I remember. It's now accepted criticism; saying "bog standard cup of tea" implies it's just about drinkable and somehow it seems to add to the general tone of life as lived is hardly worth the effort and at best is pretty miserable and dour ...

My link: To say "dog standard" instead: Which means dependable, reliable, welcoming- suddenly that tea takes on a different hue or flavour. It may be my std tea bag (or whatever) but saying 'dog std cup of tea' brings a different level to the usual thing. It's not the same downward spiral/carousel

I guess I've explained enough. I don't want one of the 'resident facilitators' to jump in- who I see as Diverters or Distractors to send any and all potentially useful/enlivening threads galloping off into the desert to disappear w/out trace in the sands of time ... that's their role of course. Sad to say. But they are keeping un dumbfounded and - adding to our . disillusion (using the word 'BOG' was one example of how we demean our own worldview)

WE are heading into the Utterly Unimaginable, as Ian says at the end of his interview. We drifted into it all unaware. We were lulled into complacency.

There will be several/many here, as honey attracts ants (is there a more appropriate comparison springs to mind?)

I'm suggesting a title forthe second point I raised, about our modern use of language:

Demeaning Life

Something that is demeaning makes people have less respect for the thing/person/action treated that way . The 'diverters' work for those who want to keep us hoodwinked. Or we'll be hogtied before very long. Meaning is our reason for living and working for a future we can be free inside-
The Ian Davis interview I recommend bcos he sets out with Whitney, how things are moving at a very fast speed. We haven't much time left ...

It's clear why that should be important- something is being taken away and/or being hidden (and ergo, by someone!)

{Tx to dirtybenny and napoleon for their input}

I hope to get some helpful responses
Tx for reading