prepping

Post by rachel »

rachel

Re: prepping

Post by rachel »

rachel

Post by rachel »

Food plants that most people would overlook? Off the top of my head... dandelion, marigolds, cornflowers, primroses, Californian poppies....
Mind you I have to say dandelion flowers taste....a little sudden!
Nasturtiums are yum, every part, flowers, leaves, seeds.
Hostas are a new one for me. Took out loads! But still have plenty.
Fuscias will take shade, the seeds are edible.
I would put nasturtiums everywhere.
Dandelion flowers taste like sunshine to me😁 you can eat the young leaves in salads, the roots can be roasted and used as a coffee substitute. Flowers can also be used for wine making. Nasturtiums are lovely to eat.
ostrich ferns can be eaten in the spring, they are called fiddleheads. Best eaten after being boiled till al dente then pan fried with butter & onions. Can be frozen in water to use later in the year.
Helena

Post by Helena »

If you’re a meat eater it can be cured with smoking or salting. Fish too. I bought some beef jerky online but it’s use by date is this year which doesn’t help.

My local butcher is currently trying his hand at it so I’ll ask him if it can be frozen long term. However, that doesn’t help if the power goes out so I’ll also ask if it really does have a use by date or if the online store was pulling a fast one.
rachel

Post by rachel »

6 TOP Crops to Grow at Home to Save You From STARVING
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

This is one of the many gardeners I follow on Youtube. They share good information, but I am suspicious of all of them. This guy has the one eye symbolism with the globe as the iris in his logo. The amount of videos these guys churn out is not humanly possible in my opinion. I have pursued gardening fairly avidly for almost 20 years and it's alot of work to say the least. Pests, watering, fertilizers, preserving harvests can be overwhelming, let alone making videos about the process. I believe they are in some ways matrix characters placed to consume our attention and intention.