Boston Dynamics Possible CGI?

General chatter that doesn't fit any forums below.
PotatoFieldsForever

Re: Boston Dynamics Possible CGI?

Unread post by PotatoFieldsForever »

It's a magic trick, they use our expectations against us.

There is even a debunking video from VFX experts with 6M subscribers where they claim that it is not CGI because it's too perfect, it reminds me of the moon landing debate, they keep explaining how perfect it is by pointing out some details but it's not perfect at all, it's obviously CGI, the texture of the robot looks like a video game.
dirtybenny

Unread post by dirtybenny »

PotatoFieldsForever wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:08 am It's a magic trick, they use our expectations against us.

There is even a debunking video from VFX experts with 6M subscribers where they claim that it is not CGI because it's too perfect, it reminds me of the moon landing debate, they keep explaining how perfect it is by pointing out some details but it's not perfect at all, it's obviously CGI, the texture of the robot looks like a video game.
PotatoFieldsForever

dirtybenny wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:22 am
PotatoFieldsForever wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:08 am It's a magic trick, they use our expectations against us.

It's was dumb justification but it established its own logic so in a sense that was a genius move. Now if something looks fake it could be real and even Elon Musk agrees with that.

I looked at the comments section under the "Do you love me" video in which the robots dance, the one discussed by the VFX experts. They use all the usual tricks, make the doubters feel like a minority, calling them dumb, psychiatrize them, ask them to go watch the experts video, say things like: "they actually sell the dog Spot so it's real".

It reminds me of how they treat the flat earthers/globe skeptics.
dirtybenny

Unread post by dirtybenny »

PotatoFieldsForever wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:42 am

I know that users of this platform often idolize Chris Kendall and John Adams, not me. They were kings of the hill for derisively, mockingly degrading and humiliating those not accepting the ball earth model. HBC was clearly an operation in my opinion.

We live on a pizza pie...Kendall and Adams repeatedly mocked globe skeptics.
0fef4647176d15cce24a818d987f1dc4d314d407v2_00.jpg
0fef4647176d15cce24a818d987f1dc4d314d407v2_00.jpg (28.61 KiB) Viewed 2140 times
flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg
Untitled.jpg
PS....I am not a flat earth proponent...
rachel

Unread post by rachel »

PotatoFieldsForever wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:42 am I looked at the comments section under the "Do you love me" video in which the robots dance, the one discussed by the VFX experts. They use all the usual tricks, make the doubters feel like a minority, calling them dumb, psychiatrize them, ask them to go watch the experts video, say things like: "they actually sell the dog Spot so it's real".

Yep totally, that's what I figured they'd say regarding Spot. If Spot is real, then... And like I say I downloaded the user manual when it was available, you get a much better idea of its real-world claims. It can run in automatic mode, but seems you really have to program in a task before it will do anything alone, then it will replay the program. And it only has a 90 minute use time, so as stated, spot only useful for specific real-world tasks which would be too dangerous for humans to perform, and that's with caveats, spot doesn't like water.

spot-user-guide-r2.0-va.pdf
(8.26 MiB) Downloaded 23 times

But the proof that Atlas is CGI is the fact it's not even on offer for sale. And if you were creating a robot, you would create something that could go into standby mode, like spot - 4 hours when it is sitting - where it requires minimal energy. Something top heavy, on two feet cannot go into standby mode, only fall-over mode. Atlas is a totally impractical solution for reality, it only works in an environment where energy use and gravity isn't an issue.

It's funny, @Unreal and I have discussed Bossto/Corridor Digital, and we are pretty sure they are actors, and we are not convinced all the stuff they show as a reveal are actually what they claim.

PotatoFieldsForever

PROMAT 2023

Apparently Boston Dynamics has shown some of its robots at the Promat 2023. I still get the CGI vibe but it would be hard to fake in that setting.

https://www.promatshow.com/
PotatoFieldsForever

This guy covered 4 days of the event, I haven't seen Boston Dynamics, now it could just be that the others robots are more interesting than the ones from BD.

rachel

Unread post by rachel »

I do think they do robots, just not people shaped ones. The only reason to have a robot the size of a person (it is not practical with regards to centre of gravity and therefore energy usage) is to use a person to fake it using motion capture. Also, the ones they show going really fast, I think are faked. I don't think it would be good for the machinery to run with such jarring actions.

It's interesting, I can't find the videos of the machines they used to show speeding around a warehouse moving boxes. Maybe they were artist impressions. This one I still think, in places, seems too fast to be real, but it's more likely they've tweaked the video to look more impressive. The faster the machine goes, the more forces, so therefore wear, you are subjecting it to.

These are more like the ones they used to have on their site. The gravity on that looks real.

The problem with all of these is power. Batteries are shite, you spend as much time having them on charge as using them. And the more battery, the heavier, the more battery drain to move. Wheels and a low centre of gravity will save you the most power. Below, a good proof of concept, but practical in the real world?

PotatoFieldsForever

This one is kind of shaped like a human.

I don't know there is something fishy about the Boston Dynamics robots.
rachel

Unread post by rachel »

I don't doubt they can make one-off bespoke robots that do impressive tasks. But the difference between the two couldn't be more clear. Look at the centre of gravity, the real one below the centre of its height, the fake one, above the centre of its height.

ScreenShot-VideoID-RVQ68Iagnb0-TimeS-24.png
ScreenShot-VideoID--e1_QhJ1EhQ-TimeS-55.png

There is only one reason why that robot is exactly man height, a professional gymnast in a motion capture suit performed the moves we see and they were fed into 3d software to create this animation. Part of the selling point of the animation, people can't tell the real from the fake. I wonder how much of that room is real? Looking at it in slow motion, I'd go with the room being real and the camera being on crane arm.

The have similar types of move, and frame.