The Sun

NASA lies - does that mean all things ball earth are up for debate?
rachel

The Sun

Unread post by rachel »

I had to laugh at this and take a photo. I think I'll do this in two posts.

Officially, this is the size of the celestial bodies in our galaxy, apparently to scale. The Earth is third from top on the right side.

Size of planets with their moons compared to the Sun
Size of planets with their moons compared to the Sun

Next we have a graphic, not to scale, that illustrates the difference in how far the Moon is away from the Earth compared to how far away the Sun is; and how big the Sun is compared to how big the Moon is.

The Moon compared to Sun distance to the Earth
The Moon compared to Sun distance to the Earth

Next we have a graphic that shows, apparently to scale, how far the Moon is actually from the Earth. Times this by 400 to get the Sun's distance from the Earth.

Distance between the Earth and Moon, to scale
Distance between the Earth and Moon, to scale
rachel

Re: The Sun

Unread post by rachel »

Again, another illustration that tries to indicate in some tangible terms how big we are told the Sun is to the Moon and the Earth, and the distance between the three bodies.

Sun, Moon, Earth scale
Sun, Moon, Earth scale

Finally, back to the Earth and Moon to scale. Now consider the Earth's atmosphere and cloud cover on this final diagram and how far it would be away from the ground of the Earth, remembering the Sun is somewhere 400 times the distance away.

Earth, Moon to scale
Earth, Moon to scale

And I'm sat in my garden in the October afternoon sun, it's around 16 degrees celsius, 61 fahrenheit, but feels a fair bit warmer in direct sunlight...and that cloud in the picture below passes across the face of the sun, and instantly I feel the coldness of that 16 degrees temperature. Look how pathetic that cloud actually is, and then review the claimed distances and size between that cloud and that sun.

Sun is blown out, its size in the sky was less than half seen here
Sun is blown out, its size in the sky was less than half seen here